Student FAQs

Yes, the Complainant and Respondent have a right to know what information is provided to the Title IX Investigator and who provided it; it’s one of their due process rights.

Involved parties, including witnesses, may be accompanied in any Sexual and Interpersonal Misconduct Procedures by and Advisor of their choice as described in Chapter 6, Section II of the Code of Student Responsibility. Additionally, the Complainant and the Respondent each have the right to be represented, at their own expense, by a Representatives as described in Chapter 6, Section III of the Code.

No, it is your right not to provide information to the Title IX Investigator.

The University strives to resolve sexual misconduct, dating violence, domestic violence, and stalking cases within 60 days (as defined in the Code) of the report, excluding appeals. In the University’s experience, circumstances (including but not limited to parallel criminal investigations, multiple witness with scheduling difficulties, and availability of parties and/or advocates) almost always exist that generally make this timeline take longer. Therefore, the typical process will likely take 120 days.

When reports are submitted to the attention of the Title IX Coordinator (, the information is immediately reviewed to assess for any necessary interim measures and outreach is initiated by the Title IX Case Manager. Students are asked to schedule a meeting with the Case Manager so that accommodations, resources, or other support options can be discussed and arranged. The Title IX Case Manager is able to assist with academic accommodations (excused absences, extended test time, incompletes, etc.) as well as aid in things like changing University housing assignments, implementing accommodations in University employment, and coordinating referrals to offices such as CAPS, Disability Services, and Police and Public Safety. Additionally, the Case Manager will also discuss safety planning, formal resolution options, and provide the University’s Interpersonal Violence Resource Guide, which further discusses both campus and community resources, accommodations, and resolution options. 

If a student talks to a non-confidential resource (e.g., faculty, staff, resident advisors, academic advisors), yet wishes to have the incident remain private, the student can request privacy from the Title IX Office. In many cases, the Title IX Office is able to honor that request for privacy. However, several factors must be weighted in this decision to ensure the University is meeting its obligation to provide a safe environment for the entire campus community. For more information about factors that influence this decision, see University Policy 406, Chapter 8, Section VI(s2) of the Code of Student Responsibility.

The Title IX Case Manager works directly with students to help inform them of various available support options, resources, and accommodations based on each student’s specific, individual needs. These options may include:

  • Housing accommodations
  • University employment accommodations
  • Academic accommodations (e.g., extended deadlines, extended test times, excused absence, incompletes)
  • No Contact Orders
  • Referrals to CAPS; Disability Services, Student Assistance and Support Services

If a student wants to discuss an experience of sexual assault, dating violence, domestic violence, or stalking with someone on campus who does not have a responsibility to report the incident to the Title IX Office, they may access any of the following services: Center for Counseling and Psychological Services, Student Health Center, Center for Wellness Promotion.

Counseling and Psychological Services: 704.687.0311;

Student Health Center: 704-687-7400;

Center for Wellness Promotion: 704-687-7407;

The Title IX Investigator attempts to receive all the necessary information within one meeting, however, additional meetings may need to occur if there is new evidence to speak to or clarifying questions that need to be posed by the Title IX Investigator.

No, we would never have you meet with the accused student. If there is a conduct hearing, you can request to not see the Respondent and we will make necessary accommodations/arrangements.